Argonauts Win 37-20 Thanks to Second Half Explosion

Andrew Dixon
FiredUp Network Sports Writer


Friday, August 26, 2022

Both members of this rivalry wanted to get out to a hot start ahead of next week’s Labour Day matchup, but that was simply not the case. The first quarter saw both teams score a field goal, but nothing more than that. 


The first touchdown of the game would eventually be scored by Lemar Durant on a pass from Matthew Shiltz. Hamilton had hardly any consistency at the pivot position tonight, but Shiltz did have the best overall stat line despite not starting the game. 


Tabby fans would see the lead extend all the way to 13-3 before the Double Blue got their first major of the night. In just five plays, starting with just over a minute remaining in the half, McLeod Bethel-Thompson and the Argonauts finally started to get it together. Kurleigh Gittens Jr. caught the touchdown from just a few yards out.


However, Seth Small would knock through a 58-yard field goal as time expired in the second quarter, giving Hamilton a 16-10 lead. 


As the second half began, the Boatmen started to make play after play. Boris Bede knocked through a career long 56-yard field goal to open the second half scoring, but Small would match those points from 33-yards away on the next drive. This Small field goal would be the second last scoring play for the Tabbies in the game. 


The Argonaut avalanche of points began with a DaVaris Daniels touchdown from 13-yards. Just two plays later Jamal Peters would intercept Dane Evans, who replaced Shiltz who originally replaced Evans, for the second time just two plays later to set up the next scoring drive. 


Kurleigh Gittens, Brandon Banks, and finally Markieth Ambles would contribute on a quick drive, capped by Ambles scoring on a 13-yard reception. 


While the third quarter didn’t see any more scoring, the fourth quarter got started on just the quarter’s fourth play. Dane Evans threw a laser outside, but Jamal Peters would collect his third interception of the night and run it back 67-yards to widen the Argo lead to 34-19 after the Bede PAT.


Toronto continued to be suffocating on the defensive side of the ball as the game went on, only allowing a single point on a wide left Seth Small field goal after Toronto had kicked yet another field goal, bringing the score to the game’s final score of 37-20.


Game Box Score