Hamitlon, ON – The Toronto Rock (E2) will take on the Halifax Thunderbirds (E3) on Friday night at FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, ON in one of four NLL Quarterfinals that will be played this weekend. This is a rematch of last year’s playoff opener, a game the Rock won 14-13 in OT.
Fans can watch the game vs. Halifax at 7:30pm ET on TSN and TSN’s digital platform TSN+ via TSN.ca and the TSN App as well as ESPN+. To stream the game, simply login to TSN+ with your cable or satellite provider’s credentials or your TSN+ account info if you’re a subscriber to the streaming service.
Here’s what to watch for in Friday’s matchup.
- On Friday morning, the Rock placed Tom Schreiber on the Injured Reserve List with an upper body injury. Moving to the Active Roster from the Practice Roster is forward Josh Dawick.
- In addition to last year’s playoff meeting, these two teams have played some high stakes games in the past. The Thunderbirds are the original Knighthawks franchise and the two rivals met three times in the NLL finals. The Rock won all three meetings (1999, 2000, 2003). The 2000 game is still widely regarded as the greatest NLL game ever played and was the last game at Maple Leaf Gardens.
- Rock goaltender Nick Rose finished with the league’s best goals-against average at 9.03 and it was also a career best. 2022-23 marked the third consecutive season Rose finished with a sub-10 GAA. His .805 save percentage was second-best in the NLL this season. Christian Del Bianco (.810) was first, and Matt Vinc (.803) was third.
- While Rose’s regular seasons have been among the league’s best year after year, he will be looking to go on a long run this spring to improve his all-time playoff win-loss record that sits at 3-6 with a .741 save percentage. Those numbers can turn around in a hurry with some postseason success this May.
- Rock forward Tom Schreiber finished fourth in the league in goals (48) and points (116). Those numbers, along with his 68 assists, were all career-highs. His 116 points is an NLL record for an American-born player.
- Since Caused Turnovers were tracked in 2011, the Rock playoff leaders are Latrell Harris (16) and Brad Kri (13).
Check out this week’s edition of the Toronto Rock Total Access podcast with co-host Challen Rogers to get yourself ready for the game. This week’s show checks in with Rock superstar goaltender Nick Rose.
Fans should also check out the latest episode of Rock City Unplugged, streaming now on the Rock’s YouTube Channel and on TSN+.
The Rock have clinched home floor advantage in the first round and will host a yet to be determined opponent in the NLL Quarterfinals on Friday, May 5 at 7:30pm at FirstOntario Centre. The Playoff Pack and single game tickets are on sale now!
For more information on Toronto Rock tickets, please contact a Toronto Rock account executive by phone at 416-596-3075, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit torontorock.com.